Go Behind-The-Scenes With Brand New Video ‘Journey So Far’ For The New Musical Adaptation of THE PRINCE OF EGYPT
New video features a behind-the-scenes look at the spectacular new musical
LONDON PREMIERE 25 FEBRUARY 2020 AT THE DOMINION THEATRE
A new behind-the-scenes look at spectacular new musical THE PRINCE OF EGYPT had been released. The video titled ‘Journey So Far’ gives an insight into the work put into the new show, which premieres at London’s Dominion Theatre on 25th February.
THE PRINCE OF EGYPT features music and lyrics by GRAMMY® and Academy Award®-winner Stephen Schwartz (Wicked, Godspell), and is written by Philip LaZebnik (Mulan, Pocahontas). With 10 brand new songs written by Schwartz, the show also features 5 acclaimed songs from the DreamWorks Animation film it’s based on, including the Academy Award®-winning When You Believe, which was a global hit for Whitney Houston and Mariah Carey as well as a UK and Ireland chart-topping winner’s single for The X-Factor.
Journey through the wonders of Ancient Egypt as two young men, raised together as brothers in a kingdom of privilege, find themselves suddenly divided by a secret past. One must rule as Pharaoh, the other must rise up and free his true people; both face a destiny that will change history forever.
A huge cast of 42 includes: Luke Brady (Moses), Liam Tamne (Ramses), Christine Allado (Tzipporah), Alexia Khadime (Miriam), Joe Dixon (Seti), Debbie Kurup (Queen Tuya) and Gary Wilmot (Jethro).
About The Prince Of Egypt
- It has taken more than 275 theatre-makers to develop, design and stage this epic new musical that reimagines the acclaimed DreamWorks Animation film for the theatre.
- The production features a huge company of almost 60 (42 cast and 16 musicians), making it one of the biggest musicals ever to be staged in London.
- More than 50 makers, milliners and sewers have been involved in producing over 1000 individual costumes, headdresses, items of jewellery, pairs of shoes and wigs.
- Delivering each performance involves more than 100 people backstage, including Stage Managers, automation operators, crew, dressers, costume and wig supervisors.
- Live fire effects, illusions, pyrotechnics and performer flying, as well as state-of-the-art projection, video and sound designs, are all utilised to deliver the theatrical spectacle.
- As well as contemporary instruments, the orchestra features nine ancient instruments with origins dating back thousands of years, including a Bouzouki, Doumbek and Oud.
- The stage musical has been in active development since 2015, helmed by the director Scott Schwartz, and has been extensively reconceived for this London premiere production.
- Choreographer Sean Cheesman uses his dancers and ensemble to ingeniously create the waters of the Nile and the desert sands as well as to stage the dynamic dance sequences.
- The original DreamWorks Animation film premiered in 1998 and has been called “one of the greatest animated films of all time” (Evening Standard).
- The musical features songs by Stephen Schwartz (Wicked, Godspell) and is written by screenwriter and playwright Philip LaZebnik (Mulan, Pocahontas).
- Deliver Us, All I Ever Wanted, Through Heaven’s Eyes, The Plagues and the Academy Award®-winning When You Believe are all included from the film together with 10 brand new songs.
- The production’s press launch video of When You Believe has received over one million views on YouTube.
- With over 2000 seats, the stunningly restored, Grade II listed Dominion Theatre in one London’s biggest venues and one of the world’s biggest theatre stages.