Original Series HEELS From Creator Michael Waldron And Showrunner Mike O’Malley Premieres Sunday August 15 On STARZPLAY
STARZPLAY STEPS INTO THE RING WITH PREMIERE DATE, TEASER TRAILER AND POSTER FOR
WRESTLING DRAMA “HEELS” STARRING STEPHEN AMELL AND ALEXANDER LUDWIG
STARZPLAY released the teaser trailer and key art today for its new original drama series “Heels,” set in the world of independent professional wrestling. The new STARZ original series will premiere worldwide on Sunday, 15 August on the STARZPLAY premium streaming platform across its complete footprint in Europe, Latin America and Japan as well as across all STARZ platforms in the U.S. and Canada.
Written and created by Executive Producer Michael Waldron (“Loki,” the upcoming Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness) with Executive Producer Mike O’Malley (“Shameless,” “Survivor’s Remorse”) as showrunner, “Heels” stars Stephen Amell (“Arrow”) as Jack Spade, with Alexander Ludwig (The Hunger Games, “Vikings”) playing his younger brother, Ace. Peter Segal (Get Smart, 50 First Dates, Tommy Boy, “Shameless”), who directs several episodes, also serves as Executive Producer.
“Heels” is a story about the men and women who chase their dreams in the world of small town pro wrestling. Set in a close-knit Georgia community, it follows a family-owned wrestling promotion as two brothers and rivals war over their late father’s legacy. In the ring, somebody must play the good guy and somebody must play their nemesis, the heel. But in the real world, those characters can be hard to live up to - or hard to leave behind.
The drama series also stars Alison Luff as Staci Spade, Jack’s wife who learns that she has to contend with the emotional stakes her in-laws have invested in their wrestling goals and the demands it puts on her family; Mary McCormack as Willie Day, Jack’s business partner and the logistrical brains behind the local wrestling organization; Kelli Berglund as Crystal Tyler, Ace’s valet and love interest; Allen Maldonado as Rooster Robbins, one of the best wrestlers in the circuit who always has something to prove and always backs it up; two-time Super Bowl champion James Harrison as Apocalypse, a been-around-the-block journeyman wrestler who’s been at it for decades and has no illusions of fame or glory; and Chris Bauer as Wild Bill Hancock, a larger-than-life former wrestling star who is now a high-level pro wrestling scout.
Along with Waldron, O’Malley and Segal, LBI Entertainment’s Julie Yorn (Hell or High Water, White Boy Rick, The Dirt), Christopher Donnelly and Patrick Walmsley will also serve as Executive Producers. “Heels” is produced by Lionsgate TV for STARZ in association with Paramount Television Studios.
Senior Vice President of Original Programming Samantha Offsay Nissen and Director of Original Programming Alex Alberts are the executives overseeing “Heels” on behalf of STARZ, with Director of Original Programming Jade-Addon Hall as the executive overseeing “Heels” on behalf of Lionsgate.
Starzplay subscribers have access to an exclusive line-up of premium programming including STARZ Original limited series “The Spanish Princess” and the explosive second chapter in the “Power” Universe, “Power Book II: Ghost” starring Mary J. Blige the same day they launch in the US; star-studded limited series like “The Stand” based on the best-selling novel by Stephen King and the upcoming “Dr. Death”; Emmy®-nominated series such as the thought-provoking millennial comedy “Ramy” from Muslim-American comedian Ramy Youssef, the genre-bending period dramedy “The Great” starring Elle Fanning and Nicholas Hoult, and the award-winning series “The Act” starring Academy Award® Winner Patricia Arquette and Joey King; plus a blockbuster movie library featuring thousands of titles.
- The STARZPLAY App for iOs and Android is available for download on the iPhone and iPad, as well as on a wide range of Android supported devices. Up to four users can watch simultaneously and enjoy offline downloads of select shows and movies. App users can enjoy personalized recommendations of shows and movies based on users’ previous viewing interests and select their preferred language for audio or captions.
- STARZPLAY is available on PRIME VIDEO CHANNELS via the Prime Video App to watch anytime, anywhere on smart TVs, iOS and Android mobile devices, Amazon Fire TV, Fire TV Stick, Fire tablets and games consoles and through the web.
- Subscribers to the STARZPLAY channel on the APPLE TV App can watch online or enjoy offline downloads of their favorite shows and movies available through STARZPLAY, which is available on iPhone, iPad, Apple TV and select Samsung smart TVs.
- VIRGIN TV customers who add the STARZPLAY subscription to their package will be able to view the content by pressing Home on their V6 remote control and then clicking On Demand followed by Box Sets.
- STARZPLAY is available on ROKU® STREAMING PLAYERS AND ROKU TV™ models.
- STARZPLAY is accessible via the RAKUTEN TV pre-installed app on Smart TVs and its branded remote control across the main TV manufacturers, allowing users direct access to the platform.
STARZ continues to grow its global footprint with its ongoing expansion of the STARZPLAY international premium streaming platform. STARZPLAY’s rapid expansion into more than 55 countries since its launch in May of 2018 is driven by its ability to provide subscribers access to the “best in global SVOD.” The content offering is comprised of the entire catalog of STARZ premium content, with upcoming STARZ Originals airing exclusively on STARZPLAY day-and-date with the US, exclusive award-winning and critically acclaimed first-run series and a vast library of blockbuster feature films. STARZPLAY is available through its direct-to-consumer app in 13 countries; on global digital broadcast services, multi-channel video distributors, telecommunications companies; and other online and digital platforms across its footprint spanning across Canada, Europe, India, Indonesia, Japan and Latin America.