Starzplay Celebrates Black Women, Friendship & Harlem In Leigh Davenport and Yvette Lee Bowser’s RUN THE WORLD
AMBITION THRIVES IN HARLEM
“Run the World” celebrates Black women, friendship and Harlem - created by Leigh Davenport (The Perfect Find, “Wendy Williams: The Hot Topic,” BET’s “Boomerang”) who will executive produce alongside showrunner Yvette Lee Bowser (“Living Single,” “black-ish,” Lionsgate’s “Dear White People”).
The new STARZ Original Series will premiere worldwide on Sunday, 16th May on STARZ in the U.S. and Canada, and will air day and date internationally on the Starzplay premium streaming platform across its complete footprint in Europe, Latin America and Japan.
Starzplay, the international premium streaming service from Starz, released the official trailer and key art today for its new comedy series “Run the World,” created by Leigh Davenport (The Perfect Find, “Wendy Williams: The Hot Topic,” BET’s “Boomerang”) who will executive produce alongside showrunner Yvette Lee Bowser (“Living Single,” “black-ish,” Lionsgate’s “Dear White People”). The new STARZ Original Series will premiere worldwide on Sunday, 16 May on STARZ in the U.S. and Canada, and will air day and date internationally on the Starzplay premium streaming platform across its complete footprint in Europe, Latin America and Japan.
Set in Harlem, “Run the World” follows a group of smart, funny, and vibrant thirty-something Black women – fiercely loyal best friends – who live, work and play in Harlem. As they strive for world domination, they each navigate career highs and lows, hookups and heartbreaks that causes them to re-evaluate who they are and where they are going. At its core, it’s an authentic and unapologetic show about enviable friendship and not only surviving – but thriving together. The series stars Amber Stevens West (“The Carmichael Show”) as “Whitney,” a perfectionist who almost always plays by the rules; Andrea Bordeaux (“NCIS: Los Angeles”) as “Ella,” an audacious romantic, who is figuring out what she truly wants both personally and professionally; Bresha Webb (“Marlon”) as “Renee,” the vivacious, soon-to-be-divorcee diva with a seemingly thriving career; and Corbin Reid (“Valor”) as “Sondi,” an erudite professional who begins to reevaluate both her career and personal priorities.
“Run the World” also stars the previously announced cast of Stephen Bishop (Moneyball, “Imposters”) as “Matthew,” Tosin Morohunfola (“Black Lightening”) as “Ola,” Erika Alexander (“Living Single”) as “Barb,” Nick Sagar (“Queen of the South”) as “Anderson,” Jay Walker (“Grey’s Anatomy”) as “Jason,” and guest star Tonya Pinkins as “Gwynn” (“All My Children”).
Starzplay subscribers have access to an exclusive line-up of premium programming including STARZ Original limited series “The Spanish Princess” and the explosive second chapter in the “Power” Universe, “Power Book II: Ghost” starring Mary J. Blige the same day they launch in the US; star-studded limited series like “The Stand” based on the best-selling novel by Stephen King and the upcoming “Dr. Death”; Emmy®-nominated series such as the thought-provoking millennial comedy “Ramy” from Muslim-American comedian Ramy Youssef, the genre-bending period dramedy “The Great” starring Elle Fanning and Nicholas Hoult, and the award-winning series “The Act” starring Academy Award® Winner Patricia Arquette and Joey King; plus a blockbuster movie library featuring thousands of titles.
- The STARZPLAY App for iOs and Android is available for download on the iPhone and iPad, as well as on a wide range of Android supported devices. Up to four users can watch simultaneously and enjoy offline downloads of select shows and movies. App users can enjoy personalized recommendations of shows and movies based on users’ previous viewing interests and select their preferred language for audio or captions.
- STARZPLAY is available on PRIME VIDEO CHANNELS via the Prime Video App to watch anytime, anywhere on smart TVs, iOS and Android mobile devices, Amazon Fire TV, Fire TV Stick, Fire tablets and games consoles and through the web.
- Subscribers to the STARZPLAY channel on the APPLE TV App can watch online or enjoy offline downloads of their favorite shows and movies available through STARZPLAY, which is available on iPhone, iPad, Apple TV and select Samsung smart TVs.
- VIRGIN TV customers who add the STARZPLAY subscription to their package will be able to view the content by pressing Home on their V6 remote control and then clicking On Demand followed by Box Sets.
- STARZPLAY is available on ROKU® STREAMING PLAYERS AND ROKU TV™ models.
- STARZPLAY is accessible via the RAKUTEN TV pre-installed app on Smart TVs and its branded remote control across the main TV manufacturers, allowing users direct access to the platform.
Starz continues to grow its global footprint with its ongoing expansion of the Starzplay international premium streaming platform. Starzplay’s rapid expansion into more than 55 countries since its launch in May of 2018 is driven by its ability to provide subscribers access to the “best in global SVOD.” The content offering is comprised of the entire catalog of STARZ premium content, with upcoming STARZ Originals airing exclusively on STARZPLAY day-and-date with the US, exclusive award-winning and critically acclaimed first-run series and a vast library of blockbuster feature films. STARZPLAY is available through its direct-to-consumer app in 13 countries; on global digital broadcast services, multi-channel video distributors, telecommunications companies; and other online and digital platforms across its footprint spanning across Canada, Europe, India, Indonesia, Japan and Latin America.
Combining the STARZ premium global subscription platform with world-class motion picture and television studio operations, Lionsgate (NYSE: LGF.A, LGF.B) brings a unique and varied portfolio of entertainment to consumers around the world. Its film, television, subscription and location-based entertainment businesses are backed by a 17,000-title library and the largest collection of film and television franchises in the independent media space. A digital age company driven by its entrepreneurial culture and commitment to innovation, the Lionsgate brand is synonymous with bold, original, relatable entertainment for the audiences it serves worldwide.