LOOKING FOR LOUIS: Louis Theroux Joins The Edinburgh TV Festival Line-Up As New Talent Search Initiative Is Launched
Mindhouse Productions Partners with The TV Foundation and Amazon Prime Video to Inspire The Next Generation of On-Screen Documentary Filmmakers
The TV Foundation (the umbrella charity of the Edinburgh TV Festival, brought to you by YouTube and Screen Scotland), is teaming up with internationally renowned journalist, documentary maker, broadcaster and author, Louis Theroux, to launch a new talent search to discover the next generation of on-screen documentary makers who want to follow in his investigative footsteps.
Looking For Louis will culminate in a must-see session at this year’s Festival where Theroux and his production company partners Nancy Strang and Arron Fellows will reveal the talented winner.
The search has been launched through Theroux’s production company, Mindhouse Productions, in partnership with The TV Foundation and Amazon Prime Video with support from The TriForce Creative Network.
Entrants will be asked to submit a one-page pitch for a two-minute micro-documentary. The submissions will be whittled down to a shortlist of 10 selected by a panel of influential industry figures. The shortlisted filmmakers will be given support to make their two-minute doc, to be shot on a mobile phone.
Mindhouse will select the six finalists whose films will form the basis of an Edinburgh TV Festival session featuring the filmmakers and Mindhouse executives including Theroux himself. The session will also examine Theroux’s passion regarding the need to find a new generation of creative and investigative talent and what advice he’d give to aspiring documentary makers.
The winner, announced during the Festival session, will win a six-month, exclusive development period with Mindhouse working with the company’s creative team to develop projects and pitch them to commissioners as well as free access to the Festival for the shortlist and winners.
In addition, Prime Video will also offer the winner a bespoke, 12-month programme of mentoring and training, overseen by Fozia Khan, Amazon Studios Unscripted Executive, to help them further their career goals.
Theroux said “I am very excited to be part of this initiative. For me, one of the best parts of launching Mindhouse is being involved behind the scenes with new talent who can tell fresh stories in different and exciting ways. To paraphrase Danny Glover in Lethal Weapon, I’m getting old for this shit, and my knees aren’t what they once were. We need to safeguard the future of irreverent and intelligent on-camera reporting by bringing up the next generation of presenters."
Campbell Glennie, MD of the Edinburgh TV Festival and TV Foundation said “The TV Foundation is all about reaching out to, and discovering, new talent and showcasing that working in TV can be a career for anyone. Our schemes aim to ensure those who work in TV are as diverse as those watching it and in this initiative, spearheaded by the force of nature that is Louis Theroux, is a natural extension to our activity to find the industry leaders of tomorrow. We thank Louis, Mindhouse, Amazon Prime Video and TCN for teaming up with us to make this happen. The session at the Festival itself is going to be a must-watch for talent-spotters everywhere.”
“Documentary filmmaking in the UK is world class, so we’re excited to be helping unearth the future generation of filmmaking talent, and mentoring and training them to help propel them to the next level in their career,” said Fozia Khan, UK Unscripted Executive at Amazon Studios.
“We’re really excited to be working with Mindhouse to offer budding journalistic talent the chance to be front and centre presenting their own ideas,” said Fraser Ayres of TriForce Creative Network. “It’s such a great opportunity to accelerate the winners’ careers.”
Submissions are now open until 11.59pm on Sunday 25 July. More information and terms & conditions can be found here.
To purchase passes which encompass access to all events at the Festival and the pre-festival digital programme.
For more information on Edinbugh TV Festival on Twitter: @EdinburghTVFest and Instagram: @EdinburghTVFest
About The TV Foundation
As a Festival and a charity, the Edinburgh TV Festival is committed to helping people from all backgrounds gain access to, and develop their careers further in, the TV industry.
In 2019 the Festival launched a new division – The TV Foundation; the charity umbrella that further expands its remit as the foremost charity dedicated to supporting the television industry. The TV Foundation runs two talent schemes; Ones to Watch and The Network which have helped over 4,000 individuals since 1991, as well as supporting new initiatives such as TV PhD, the annual New Voice Awards, partnerships with industry initiatives and a year-round programme of events and support.
About Edinburgh TV Festival
The Edinburgh TV Festival brought to you by YouTube and Screen Scotland, is the UK’s foremost television event, bringing together leading industry figures and a broad, diverse range of delegates to celebrate and dissect the world of global television production.
Speakers for 2021 will include The James MacTaggart Memorial Lecture delivered by Jack Thorne, Global Icon Whoopi Goldberg, Masterclasses on We are Lady Parts and Gomorrah and Spotlight sessions with major decision makers from UK and international broadcasters and global streamers.
Previous speakers and panellists include Sir David Attenborough, Charlie Brooker, Michaela Coel, Mo Gilligan, Hugh Grant, Armando Iannucci, David Olusoga and Phoebe Waller-Bridge.
About Prime Video
Prime Video offers customers a vast collection of TV shows, movies, sport and more — all available to watch on practically any device:
- Included with Prime: Watch thousands of popular movies and TV shows, award-winning Amazon Originals and other exclusives, sports, and more. Think UK-produced Amazon Originals such as Good Omens, The Grand Tour and All or Nothing: Tottenham Hotspur, US hits like The Boys, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel and Tom Clancy’s Jack Ryan; as well as exclusive TV shows like Star Trek: Picard, American Gods and Vikings; movies like Coming 2 America and the Golden Globe-winning Borat Subsequent Moviefilm; as well as live sport including ATP and WTA Tour and US Open Tennis, the Rugby Union Autumn Nations Cup and Premier League football. All available at no additional cost as part of Prime Video, which is available in more than 240 countries and territories worldwide (offers and titles vary based on location).
- Watch More with Prime Video Channels: Prime members can add 70+ channels like Discovery, ITV Hub+, Eurosport Player, hayu, STARZPLAY and more — no extra apps to download; no long term contract required. Only pay for the ones you want, and cancel anytime. View the full list of channels available online.
- Rent or Buy: Enjoy new-release movies to rent or buy, entire seasons of current TV shows available to buy, with special deals just for Prime members.
- Instant Access: Watch at home or on the go with your choice of hundreds of compatible devices. Stream from the web or using the Prime Video app on your smartphone, tablet, set-top box including Sky, Virgin, TalkTalk and BT, game console, or select smart TVs. A list of all compatible devices is here.
- Enhanced Experiences: Make the most of every viewing with 4K Ultra HD and High Dynamic Range (HDR) compatible content. Go behind the scenes of your favourite movies and TV shows with exclusive X-Ray access, powered by IMDb. Save it for later with select mobile downloads for offline viewing.
Prime Video is just one of many benefits included with a Prime membership, along with unlimited fast free delivery options on millions of items as well as exclusive deals and discounts at Amazon.co.uk, exclusive content with Prime Gaming, access to ad-free music, Kindle ebooks, and unlimited photo storage. Sign-up or start a free trial of Prime.